3-Components of Cement Plant Optimization
Optimization is the best use of resources. Optimization is elimination of all forms of wastage and non value adding activities. Optimization is our social responsibility to save resources for future generation and reduce environmental footprint of energy utilization. Optimization is a continuous process to fill performance gaps and upgrade your targets to reduce production cost.
We have analysed various aspects for optimization and found that there are three most critical components leading to best utilization of all resources in any process industry. These are briefly described here as three components of optimization. In our upcoming articles we will take them one by one in detail.
- Training for Knowledge and Skill development: Position of human element is the most critical one in whole manufacturing activity. In reality, the optimum utilization of human element will in turn ensure the best utilization of all other resources. From research on human element, it has been found that if a person is not in learning and updating his skills for 2 years, his brain starts to accept about the existing state as ultimate of performance. It is rightly said, that the learning organizations are the leading organizations in any kind of business. With no exceptions for cement industry, the new levels of optimization can be achieved only by consistent training to improve, and refresh knowledge and skill set of people of the plant. Equip yourself/your-employees with the tools of the trade to adopt newer concepts, challenges through regular training and skill development.
- Benchmarking and Process Audit: The second most critical dimension for optimization of your industry is benchmarking and process audit. Do you know that our brain follows quantitative and relative targets easily than the descriptive and absolute targets! Yes, it is like that. The performance gap can be easily followed than the absolute values of key performance indicators. To keep on improving continuously conduct regular process audits, to establish present performance, find out the performance gap, and determine the road map to fill performance gaps.
- Data Driven Decision on Real Time: The third component for optimization of your business/industry is to leverage the data generated each fraction of second, and convert this data into operational intelligence. Bridging various data islands into a single source of truth facilitates eagle-eye visualization of shop floor facts. When decision making team members are empowered to access, plant operation and other related data on real time basis, and, are instantly notified about any deviations at plant, various breakdowns, process problems and quality problems can be easily avoided. You might have generally heard the complaints in daily meetings, that the information was not available on time with in department and across closely related departments, like production and quality control department, production and mechanical departments etc. A few years back it was a real issue to fix, but thanks to cutting edge technology of digitalization, it is now easily possible. So, it is recommend to consider a versatile process information management system PIMS for your cement plant as a fool proof tool for plant optimization. The best thing about this solution is that you can get one at the cost of less than 1 % of your project cost.
We have collaboration with technology leaders like LEAN AUTOMATION for Industry 4.0 to facilitate three pillars for cement plant optimization at one window. Technology is a great enabler for optimization, But we need to update continuously the knowledge and skill set of front line action takers through capacity development training. So that the cultural transformation will take place to embrace newer possibilities and overcome skepticism.
THREE COMPONENTS TOGETHER WILL GUARANTEE YOUR CEMENT PLANT OPTIMIZATION
- Training will enable people to identify and differentiate wastage and value addition.
- Regular plant operation audit/analysis will highlight the pain points, performance gaps, bottlenecks and potential optimization opportunities in plant operation and design.
- Incorporation of process information management system PIMS will bridge various data islands like Quality, Production, Maintenance etc. and collect them on one page and thereby facilitate a tool to action takers to take decisions on real time data/facts. Moreover it will provide you 360 degree visualization of plant shop floor facts anywhere and anytime, so that you are 100 % aware about things happening at your manufacturing unit and initiate corrective action immediately if anything goes wrong anywhere in plant.
*****THANKS A LOT, PLEASE SHARE YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS ARTICLE IN COMMENT*******